Le Petit Auberge in Maynard, MA - What year did it close?
Cindy B.
2005-10-23 22:36:33 UTC
I fondly remember dining many times at a French restaurant... Le
Petit Auberge in Maynard, MA... during the time my boyfriend (at the
time) worked at DEC. I recently caught up with a girlfriend from
Wayland, MA and mentioned the restaurant as having been one of my
personal favorites. Sadly, she informed me that it is long gone.

Anyone know the history of its closing? When did it close? What is
there now? Anyone know where the owners/chef have gone?

TIA,
Cindy B.
No Spam
2005-10-23 22:54:46 UTC
Post by Cindy B.
I fondly remember dining many times at a French restaurant... Le
Petit Auberge in Maynard, MA... during the time my boyfriend (at the
time) worked at DEC. I recently caught up with a girlfriend from
Wayland, MA and mentioned the restaurant as having been one of my
personal favorites. Sadly, she informed me that it is long gone.
Anyone know the history of its closing? When did it close? What is
there now? Anyone know where the owners/chef have gone?
TIA,
Cindy B.
Don't know where he is now, but in the mid-to-late
eighties, the former owner of then-defunct La Petite
Auberge, René Bonomini, was the chef at the now-defunct
Crêperie Bretonne in Leominster. The back of the Crêperie
Bretonne was visible from Routte 2. René was always very
knowledgeable about wines.
Cindy B.
2005-10-23 23:45:06 UTC
Post by No Spam
Don't know where he is now, but in the mid-to-late
eighties, the former owner of then-defunct La Petite
Auberge, René Bonomini, was the chef at the now-defunct
Crêperie Bretonne in Leominster. The back of the Crêperie
Bretonne was visible from Routte 2. René was always very
knowledgeable about wines.
Isn't the Internet wonderful! :-) I just did a "people search" and
found that he is 80 years old and still living nearby in Boxborough,
MA.

Time certainly does fly... and I guess I am really showing my own age
here!!!

Many thanks,
Cindy B.
Stephen Stein
2005-10-23 23:00:21 UTC
Post by Cindy B.
Anyone know the history of its closing? When did it close? What is
there now? Anyone know where the owners/chef have gone?
Don't know many specifics, but it closed in the mid-80s as I recall. I
think one or two restaurants tried to make a go of it in the same place,
but closed quickly. The space has been vacant (or so it appears) for at
least the last 10 years.

It's a long shot, but if you really want to know the story you might
want to go to or call Le Lyonnaise in Acton (on 2A/119 a little north of
the Rt 27 intersection, phone #978-263-9068) and ask the owners. I know
they've been there since before the Petit Auberge closed, and all the
French chefs in the area seemed to know each other.

Good luck (and let us know what you find out!)
- Steve Stein
Cindy B.
2005-10-24 00:01:23 UTC
On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 19:00:21 -0400, Stephen Stein
Post by Stephen Stein
Don't know many specifics, but it closed in the mid-80s as I recall. I
think one or two restaurants tried to make a go of it in the same place,
but closed quickly. The space has been vacant (or so it appears) for at
least the last 10 years.
Thanks very much for the info. Was one of those later restaurants
another French restaurant named "La Grange" or something similar? Or
am I mixing up my French restaurants? That was such a long time ago.
Post by Stephen Stein
It's a long shot, but if you really want to know the story you might
want to go to or call Le Lyonnaise in Acton (on 2A/119 a little north of
the Rt 27 intersection, phone #978-263-9068) and ask the owners. I know
they've been there since before the Petit Auberge closed, and all the
French chefs in the area seemed to know each other.
Ironically, it was the suggestion of meeting at Le Lyonnaise by my
girlfriend that sparked my memories and curiosity regarding Le Petit
Auberge. In fact, I had wondered if the two restaurants were somehow
related by common family ownership or any other sort of personal
relationship. We intend to meet there (Le Lyonnaise) sometime next
month. And yes, I certainly will try my best to get the inside story!
:-)

Thanks again,
Cindy B.
Stephen Stein
2005-10-24 00:48:39 UTC
Post by Stephen Stein
Don't know many specifics, but it closed in the mid-80s as I recall. I
think one or two restaurants tried to make a go of it in the same place,
but closed quickly. The space has been vacant (or so it appears) for at
least the last 10 years.
Thanks very much for the info. Was one of those later restaurants
another French restaurant named "La Grange" or something similar?
I think you are right - as I recall, it was open for less than a year.
I think I might have even gone there once. It became something else (Ma
Maison, maybe?), and then closed. The old sign might even be on the
building still. It was way before ne.food. Which reminds me - you
might want to ask Ellis Cohen (***@bu.edu), proprietor of the old
Boston Restaurant list, who might know something.

- Steve Stein
Cindy B.
2005-10-24 01:46:12 UTC
On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 20:48:39 -0400, Stephen Stein
Post by Stephen Stein
I think you are right - as I recall, it was open for less than a year.
I think I might have even gone there once. It became something else (Ma
Maison, maybe?), and then closed. The old sign might even be on the
building still. It was way before ne.food. Which reminds me - you
Boston Restaurant list, who might know something.
I may do just that. Seems silly to care about a restaurant that
closed probably two decades ago, but it brings back some wonderful
memories. Apart from my French heritage and French cooking interest,
those were particularly good times for me. :-)

Thanks again,
Cindy B.
No Spam
2005-10-24 03:26:48 UTC
NB: "la petite auberge", not "le petit auberge" :->
Cindy B.
2005-10-26 01:25:22 UTC
Post by No Spam
NB: "la petite auberge", not "le petit auberge" :->
Ouch! :-) Okay, so I'm not quite perfect... although parts of me are
still very good! :-)

Oddly enough, I knew that and even questioned the gender of "auberge"
and spelling of "petite" with my girlfriend, but in the end I copied
the name exactly as it had it appeared in a period post I had found
through Google. I figured the original poster somehow knew better
than me. Shame on me for not being more diligent. Grandma would roll
over in her grave!!!

Thanks again!
Cindy B.
Cheryl Isaak
2005-10-26 10:12:53 UTC
Post by Cindy B.
Post by No Spam
NB: "la petite auberge", not "le petit auberge" :->
Ouch! :-) Okay, so I'm not quite perfect... although parts of me are
still very good! :-)
Oddly enough, I knew that and even questioned the gender of "auberge"
and spelling of "petite" with my girlfriend, but in the end I copied
the name exactly as it had it appeared in a period post I had found
through Google. I figured the original poster somehow knew better
than me. Shame on me for not being more diligent. Grandma would roll
over in her grave!!!
Thanks again!
Cindy B.
Funny, I've seen both La and Le Petite Auberge as restaurant names.

But I swear I remember my French teacher insisting that vegetables were
"neutral" and took on the "sex" of the person consuming the vegetable.
(silly class, "French cooking, taught in French". It did satisfy that Home
Ec requirement and got me the last semester of a foreign language in high
school.)

Cheryl
Ho ho ho
2005-10-26 23:56:41 UTC
Post by Cheryl Isaak
But I swear I remember my French teacher insisting that vegetables were
"neutral" and took on the "sex" of the person consuming the vegetable.
Now that's a bizarre idea! I don't think it has anything
to do with the actual "French as she is spoke." Besides,
"auberge" means "inn". It's not a vegetable, it's an inn.

But seriously, the name of the restaurant was "la petite
auberge" in proper French, with a feminine singlular article
and adjective. The restaurant was owned by a Frenchman.
Cheryl
Cindy B.
2005-11-25 16:37:57 UTC
Post by Stephen Stein
Good luck (and let us know what you find out!)
As a quick follow-up, we finally visited Le Lyonnaise in Acton last
week and found out that there was no business or family relationship
between the two suburban French restaurants (although the owners did
know each other as someone had suggested).

As good as it was (and it was good), I found myself a bit disappointed
by Le Lyonnaise in comparison to my memories of La Petite Auberge.
Perhaps my memories have become somewhat "enhanced" over time, but I
tend to think that French restaurant cooking... Massachusetts style,
at least... has become a bit lazy and strays to much from the
traditional tastes and ways. Creativity, experimentation and
short-cuts can be great, but sometimes tradition is better.

Should anyone have a recommendation for a truly traditional French
restaurant in or near Massachusetts... one not overly affected by
other modern/ethnic influences, I would love to hear about it.

Cindy B.