Vinny Testa's - what happened?
Peter Maranci
2003-10-20 19:36:02 UTC
I went to Vinny Testa's on Saturday, and noticed that it had changed
to "Vinny T's". Asked the waiter, and apparently they've gone
corporate; I don't know if that means that they've incorporated, or
been acquired by some megacorp, but it sounded more like option #2.

The food hasn't changed, as far as I can tell.

Does anyone know what happened?
Marcel Lachenmann
2003-10-21 14:10:08 UTC
Post by Peter Maranci
I went to Vinny Testa's on Saturday, and noticed that it had changed
to "Vinny T's". Asked the waiter, and apparently they've gone
corporate; I don't know if that means that they've incorporated, or
been acquired by some megacorp, but it sounded more like option #2.
[snip]
Post by Peter Maranci
Does anyone know what happened?
In 2002, Vinny Testa's 9 restaurants were aquired by Buca, Inc.
( http://www.bucainc.com ) which owns the Buca di Beppo restaurant
chain (http://www.bucadibeppo.com ). The Buca di Beppo chain
is much larger, with 82 restaurants as of 2002 (and most likely
more by now).

The full new name of the restaurant is "Vinny T's of Boston".

Marcel
Wendy
2003-10-21 18:40:39 UTC
Post by Peter Maranci
I went to Vinny Testa's on Saturday, and noticed that it had changed
to "Vinny T's". Asked the waiter, and apparently they've gone
corporate; I don't know if that means that they've incorporated, or
been acquired by some megacorp, but it sounded more like option #2.
The food hasn't changed, as far as I can tell.
Does anyone know what happened?
The re-naming (whoops, "reflagging") of Vinny Testa's is part of the
acquisition by Buca Inc. (think Buca di Beppo) in 2001. I couldn't
find out the rationale for changing the name either thru my news
database or VT's web site. Buca probably wanted something shorter and
snappier, who knows.
Puester
2003-10-22 01:42:12 UTC
Post by Wendy
The re-naming (whoops, "reflagging") of Vinny Testa's is part of the
acquisition by Buca Inc. (think Buca di Beppo) in 2001. I couldn't
find out the rationale for changing the name either thru my news
database or VT's web site. Buca probably wanted something shorter and
snappier, who knows.
It may well have been part of the deal--
"I'll sell the restaurant but not my name."

gloria p