Joyful Garden, Brighton
John D.
2007-11-12 17:35:40 UTC
Of all the place to open a modestly priced Chinese restaurant in this
area, not many would suspect...the first floor of a Days Inn hotel.

Normally the in-house restaurants of hotels I've visited are either
ridiculously overpriced or dimly lit greasy spoons so of the many
times I've passed this restaurant I admit to not having great
expectations of the cuisine - since it was in a western hotel I
figured it would be nothing but polynesian and very westernized
Chinese food.

Saturday was the fourth time I had eaten here and I still come back,
having taken the dip when a friend was having a birthday dinner here.
Some of my preconceived notions were correct - they do have pupu
platters and crab rangoons on their menu, but I also discovered their
Chinese-only menu (as in "it's written all in Chinese" - not "it's
only served to Chinese") listing their more authentic Hong Kong,
Cantonese, and Sichuan dishes. Since it is located in a Days Inn,
they serve a western style breakfast in the mornings. Starting at
lunch and continuing through dinner, you have your choice of ordering
off the "Western menu" (steak and potatoes anyone?) or off the Chinese
menu. We sat next to a couple who weren't interested in Chinese and
heard them order Western dishes, but our table had the waiter's
recommendation of deep-fried whole chicken with garlic alongside a few
bowls of abalone-and-duck soup - both of which were great. I have no
comments about anything on their western menu as I've never ordered
off it.

Since it is a hotel, there is a lot of parking and so far the parking
isn't restricted to hotel guests so it makes for a good destination
when you need an alternative to Chinatown without the parking hassles.
The restaurant, which seats approximately 100, was filled the evening
we went in with the vast majority being Asian - always a good sign in
my book that I'm not the only one who likes the food.

Browse the menu:

http://www.joyfulgardenboston.com

1234 Soldiers Field Rd, Brighton
Open til midnight Sun-Fri, 1AM on Sat.
Christopher C. Stacy
2007-11-14 20:15:06 UTC
Post by John D.
Of all the place to open a modestly priced Chinese restaurant in this
area, not many would suspect...the first floor of a Days Inn hotel.
Normally the in-house restaurants of hotels I've visited are either
ridiculously overpriced or dimly lit greasy spoons
[...]
Post by John D.
http://www.joyfulgardenboston.com
1234 Soldiers Field Rd, Brighton
Open til midnight Sun-Fri, 1AM on Sat.
There's always been some credible restaurant in that hotel.
Last time I checked about 8 years ago, it was Italian.
John D.
2007-11-14 20:47:32 UTC
Post by Christopher C. Stacy
There's always been some credible restaurant in that hotel.
Last time I checked about 8 years ago, it was Italian.
Would that be

Tavern on the Charles
Enzo's
or