Olive Garden Restaurant
LuckyLady
2004-04-03 23:58:42 UTC
Anyone ever go to an Olive Garden?? There is one i
Newington/Portsmouth NH area, near the Fox Run Mall. I have been man
times, the best part is the salad, can't get enough and it's all yo
can eat when you order a meal. The Garlic breadsticks that come wit
the salad are awesome too. I could eat just the salad and breadsticks
I usually do, and take most of my meal in a to-go container. Are ther
Olive Garden Restaurants in other areas? I'd be interested in hearin
other people comments about the Olive Garden

-
LuckyLad
LuckyLady's Profile: http://www.restaurantnotes.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=9
View this thread: http://www.restaurantnotes.com/showthread.php?threadid=1003
Uri Guttman
2004-04-04 07:30:48 UTC
L> Anyone ever go to an Olive Garden?? There is one in
L> Newington/Portsmouth NH area, near the Fox Run Mall. I have been
L> many times, the best part is the salad, can't get enough and it's
L> all you can eat when you order a meal. The Garlic breadsticks that
L> come with the salad are awesome too. I could eat just the salad
L> and breadsticks, I usually do, and take most of my meal in a to-go
L> container. Are there Olive Garden Restaurants in other areas? I'd
L> be interested in hearing other people comments about the Olive
L> Garden.

been to one on some long ago trip and will never go again. horrible
ersatz italian food. low level chain quality. how you can think they are
good makes me doubt your other review of the diner.

uri
--
Uri Guttman ------ ***@stemsystems.com -------- http://www.stemsystems.com
Smokey
2004-04-04 12:45:00 UTC
Post by Uri Guttman
L> Anyone ever go to an Olive Garden?? There is one in
L> Newington/Portsmouth NH area, near the Fox Run Mall. I have been
L> many times, the best part is the salad, can't get enough and it's
L> all you can eat when you order a meal. The Garlic breadsticks that
L> come with the salad are awesome too. I could eat just the salad
L> and breadsticks, I usually do, and take most of my meal in a to-go
L> container. Are there Olive Garden Restaurants in other areas? I'd
L> be interested in hearing other people comments about the Olive
L> Garden.
been to one on some long ago trip and will never go again. horrible
ersatz italian food. low level chain quality. how you can think they are
good makes me doubt your other review of the diner.
uri
--
Uri Guttman
Well, that seems a little harsh. Maybe you should give the Olive Garden
another chance. Perhaps it's improved since that "long ago trip". It's a
chain, for sure, but not IMO a "low level" one, and it's not authentic
Italian, for sure, but it's generally good basic food of decent quality.
Some things work better than others, but that's true of every
restaurant....and of my own kitchen.

Smokey
Jerry Natowitz
2004-04-05 11:37:41 UTC
Post by Smokey
Post by Uri Guttman
L> Anyone ever go to an Olive Garden?? There is one in
L> Newington/Portsmouth NH area, near the Fox Run Mall. I have been
L> many times, the best part is the salad, can't get enough and it's
L> all you can eat when you order a meal. The Garlic breadsticks that
L> come with the salad are awesome too. I could eat just the salad
L> and breadsticks, I usually do, and take most of my meal in a to-go
L> container. Are there Olive Garden Restaurants in other areas? I'd
L> be interested in hearing other people comments about the Olive
L> Garden.
been to one on some long ago trip and will never go again. horrible
ersatz italian food. low level chain quality. how you can think they are
good makes me doubt your other review of the diner.
uri
--
Uri Guttman
Well, that seems a little harsh. Maybe you should give the Olive Garden
another chance. Perhaps it's improved since that "long ago trip". It's a
chain, for sure, but not IMO a "low level" one, and it's not authentic
Italian, for sure, but it's generally good basic food of decent quality.
Some things work better than others, but that's true of every
restaurant....and of my own kitchen.
I think Uri's rhetoric can come off as harsh - I went off on him a few
months ago about Cincinnati Chili - but in this case, I have to agree with him.

The first time I ate at Olive Garden was in the 80s, I think. It was
decent, a place to go if you were in an area with few Italian restaurants,
and you wanted Italian food. At that time, they actually made and served
fresh pasta right in the restaurant.

The last time I went, which was probably 3 years ago, they had morphed into
a chain restaurant of fairly low quality. The all-you-can-eat salad was
delivered in small quanatities in the bottom of a huge bowl, dripping with
dressing. The bread-sticks were like Wonder Bread in stick form, with
melted margarine and garlic salt coating. The soups remained fairly good,
but when ordered as part of an all-you-can-eat lunch, they were delivered
in such small quantities (about 1 inch deep in a bowl), that it took 4 or 5
orders to get a decent amount.

I too have taken a never again stance.
--
Jerry Natowitz
j dot natowitz at rcn dot com
Linux Eye for the Microsoft Guy
Cheryl Isaak
2004-04-04 12:55:48 UTC
Post by Uri Guttman
Anyone ever go to an Olive Garden?? There is one in
Newington/Portsmouth NH area, near the Fox Run Mall. I have been many
times, the best part is the salad, can't get enough and it's all you
can eat when you order a meal. The Garlic breadsticks that come with
the salad are awesome too. I could eat just the salad and breadsticks,
I usually do, and take most of my meal in a to-go container. Are there
Olive Garden Restaurants in other areas? I'd be interested in hearing
other people comments about the Olive Garden.
Is there a long wait at that one - there is always a wait at the ones in
Concord and Manchester. We've never had to wait in other areas (NY State and
PA).
Food is good, like the salads, the kids love it, but the wait kills us. We
go elsewhere when we're in the mood for mock Italian.

Cheryl
Marc Dashevsky
2004-04-04 14:32:34 UTC
Post by Cheryl Isaak
Post by Uri Guttman
Anyone ever go to an Olive Garden?? There is one in
Newington/Portsmouth NH area, near the Fox Run Mall. I have been many
times, the best part is the salad, can't get enough and it's all you
can eat when you order a meal. The Garlic breadsticks that come with
the salad are awesome too. I could eat just the salad and breadsticks,
I usually do, and take most of my meal in a to-go container. Are there
Olive Garden Restaurants in other areas? I'd be interested in hearing
other people comments about the Olive Garden.
Is there a long wait at that one - there is always a wait at the ones in
Concord and Manchester. We've never had to wait in other areas (NY State and
PA).
Food is good, like the salads, the kids love it, but the wait kills us. We
go elsewhere when we're in the mood for mock Italian.
Is it comparable to Macaroni Grill?
--
Marc Dashevsky -- Put "usenet" in Subject if you want me to read e-mail.
http://MarcDashevsky.com
Dan Logcher
2004-04-04 15:26:54 UTC
Post by Marc Dashevsky
Post by Cheryl Isaak
Post by Uri Guttman
Anyone ever go to an Olive Garden?? There is one in
Newington/Portsmouth NH area, near the Fox Run Mall. I have been many
times, the best part is the salad, can't get enough and it's all you
can eat when you order a meal. The Garlic breadsticks that come with
the salad are awesome too. I could eat just the salad and breadsticks,
I usually do, and take most of my meal in a to-go container. Are there
Olive Garden Restaurants in other areas? I'd be interested in hearing
other people comments about the Olive Garden.
Is there a long wait at that one - there is always a wait at the ones in
Concord and Manchester. We've never had to wait in other areas (NY State and
PA).
Food is good, like the salads, the kids love it, but the wait kills us. We
go elsewhere when we're in the mood for mock Italian.
Is it comparable to Macaroni Grill?
I would think not. Macaroni Grill is a higher end chain, from the
one time I tried it. I will say, I'm not big on Italian food thusfar.
It all seems to be overpriced pasta. I am interested in trying the
Tuscan Grill though.
Dan
Uri Guttman
2004-04-04 19:58:53 UTC
DL> I would think not. Macaroni Grill is a higher end chain, from the
DL> one time I tried it. I will say, I'm not big on Italian food thusfar.
DL> It all seems to be overpriced pasta. I am interested in trying the
DL> Tuscan Grill though.

tuscan is very good. we have to go back.

for good italian and plenty of non-pasta stuff try marino's in north
cambridge (i keep touting their lunch buffet here) and la buona vita in
arlington center. the latter is small and cozy with many good non-pasta
dishes. but when i was there last week i had lobster ravioli with a
crabmeat tomato sauce. another diner had the great pistachio and
gorganzola pasta. but a common special (which i have had numerous times)
is a beef tenderloin with a port wine sauce with asparagus and roasted
potatoes. the chef is very creative and friendly. last december on the
night of the big blizzard we struggled to get out and his was one of the
few places that was open. we desperately needed hot soup and it wasn't
on the menu. so he whipped up a couple of bowls of amazing minestrone
for us. so good italian is not just pasta and red sauce. check those two
places out.

uri
--
Uri Guttman ------ ***@stemsystems.com -------- http://www.stemsystems.com
Cheryl Isaak
2004-04-04 15:37:47 UTC
On 4/4/04 10:32 AM, in article
Post by Marc Dashevsky
Post by Cheryl Isaak
Post by Uri Guttman
Anyone ever go to an Olive Garden?? There is one in
Newington/Portsmouth NH area, near the Fox Run Mall. I have been many
times, the best part is the salad, can't get enough and it's all you
can eat when you order a meal. The Garlic breadsticks that come with
the salad are awesome too. I could eat just the salad and breadsticks,
I usually do, and take most of my meal in a to-go container. Are there
Olive Garden Restaurants in other areas? I'd be interested in hearing
other people comments about the Olive Garden.
Is there a long wait at that one - there is always a wait at the ones in
Concord and Manchester. We've never had to wait in other areas (NY State and
PA).
Food is good, like the salads, the kids love it, but the wait kills us. We
go elsewhere when we're in the mood for mock Italian.
Is it comparable to Macaroni Grill?
Yes and no - I like the food better at Macaroni Grill. But, Olive Garden is
quite acceptable. The food IME is consistent across different places. The
bread is good (might just be the garlic butter), I like the all you can eat
salad.

Cheryl
E***@spamblock.panix.com
2004-04-04 15:05:32 UTC
Post by LuckyLady
Anyone ever go to an Olive Garden??
I think that lots of people go to the Olive Garden. Personally, I don't
really understand why.

There is one in
Post by LuckyLady
Newington/Portsmouth NH area, near the Fox Run Mall. I have been many
times, the best part is the salad, can't get enough and it's all you
can eat when you order a meal. The Garlic breadsticks that come with
the salad are awesome too. I could eat just the salad and breadsticks,
I usually do, and take most of my meal in a to-go container.
That is what my sister like to do.

Are there
Post by LuckyLady
Olive Garden Restaurants in other areas?
Lots. It is a big chain.

I'd be interested in hearing
Post by LuckyLady
other people comments about the Olive Garden.
IMO, they serve mediocre food at middling prices.
--
...I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who
Thanos
2004-04-05 14:34:38 UTC
Post by LuckyLady
other people comments about the Olive Garden.
IMO, they serve mediocre food at middling prices.
I would tend to agree.

Thanos
Chip
2004-04-04 15:24:05 UTC
Post by Uri Guttman
I'd be interested in hearing
other people comments about the Olive Garden.
Hate it. I have a friend who likes to meet there for lunch. The only
thing I can taste in their food is salt.

It's just Applebees/Chilis/Fridays with marinara sauce and more cheese.

When you're surrounded by real Italian restaurants, why go to a fake
one?

Speaking of which, has anyone tried Marconi's on 9 in Framingham yet?
It went into the Place of Restaurant Death just east of Temple St.
g***@hanley.net
2004-04-05 11:36:22 UTC
Post by Chip
The only
thing I can taste in their food is salt.
It is so true. The salt industry has got to be loving the explosion
of these type of restaurant chains that load their foods with salt,
most likely to sell more drinks and probably also as a type of
preservative.

I ate at the local Chili's recently and couldn't get enough water
afterwards.

-- Gary
Jerry Natowitz
2004-04-05 11:49:46 UTC
Post by g***@hanley.net
Post by Chip
The only
thing I can taste in their food is salt.
It is so true. The salt industry has got to be loving the explosion
of these type of restaurant chains that load their foods with salt,
most likely to sell more drinks and probably also as a type of
preservative.
Funny you mention this. Just this morning I was reading the ingredient
list on Hot Pocket Chicken, Broccoli, and Cheddar flavor - which is one of
my daughter's favorite breakfast foods. In the sub-ingredient list for
cooked chicken breast, there was "encapsulated salt".

In case anyone is interested, here is a description:

Cargill Salt's Premier line of encapsulated salt is a tightly
encapsulated sodium chloride crystal coated with partially hydrogenated
vegetable oil, which is applied by a modified spray-drying method. The dual
coating was developed to create a controlled-release sodium chloride
product. By protecting the sodium chloride and preventing it from
dissolving until the required conditions are present, new applications and
extended shelf life of processed foods are possible.

The high temperatures achieved during baking melt the vegetable oil
layer and in turn release the salt into the product. Other release
conditions for dissolving the coating are moisture, acid/pH and abrasion.

Cargill Salt developed this line of encapsulated salt for baked foods
where inhibition of yeast and water binding must be controlled. In dough
mixing, encapsulated salt eliminates water-binding, allowing for a
reduction in blending and kneading time. It is effective in both frozen and
refrigerated dough applications.

Encapsulated salt reduces cracking in frozen foods, too. For pre-baked,
chilled or frozen pretzels, encapsulated salt prevents the dissolution of
salt particles caused by surface thawing and temperature changes.

Other encapsulated salt applications include temperature-sensitive
seasoning and spice blends and dry bakery mixes.
Pete from Boston
2004-04-06 16:49:46 UTC
Post by g***@hanley.net
Post by Chip
The only
thing I can taste in their food is salt.
It is so true. The salt industry has got to be loving the explosion
of these type of restaurant chains that load their foods with salt,
most likely to sell more drinks and probably also as a type of
preservative.
I ate at the local Chili's recently and couldn't get enough water
afterwards.
I've had a couple of friends who've worked at Pizzeria Uno's, which
means I've spent an inordinate amount of time eating there (inordinate
amount meaning any time at all). I've had gift certificates there that
I regretted using (imagine -- free food can be a bad thing!). I just
can't touch the stuff anymore. All salt, all grease. I've heard tell
that they have to turn the personal-size pizzas over and let them
drain before serving, they're so greasy. The breadsticks, the entrees,
the appetizers -- all of it has this salty grease that must come out
of a big tank in the back labelled "SECRET INGREDIENT #437." Perhaps
the plan is to keep the stuff moving right through you so you'll be
hungry and have to eat more really soon.
Dan Logcher
2004-04-04 15:25:02 UTC
Post by Uri Guttman
Anyone ever go to an Olive Garden?? There is one in
Newington/Portsmouth NH area, near the Fox Run Mall. I have been many
times, the best part is the salad, can't get enough and it's all you
can eat when you order a meal. The Garlic breadsticks that come with
the salad are awesome too. I could eat just the salad and breadsticks,
I usually do, and take most of my meal in a to-go container. Are there
Olive Garden Restaurants in other areas? I'd be interested in hearing
other people comments about the Olive Garden.
Never been.. I did try a Red Lobster once. Once! And that was back
in the 90's.
Dan
Alan Grossberg
2004-04-04 20:29:38 UTC
Most entrees are way too salty, and I'm underwhelmed by the all you can eat
salad (I'll take half the blame because I'm an iceberg snob).

It is what it is, which is faux Italian, but their dishes have improved
since I first tried the one in Newington in 1995. And that one is always
very crowded...unless it's bad weather or you go after 9pm expect a 40-60
minute wait.
LuckyLady
2004-04-04 14:40:30 UTC
Post by Uri Guttman
been to one on some long ago trip and will never go again. horrible
ersatz italian food. low level chain quality. how you can think the
are
good makes me doubt your other review of the diner.
uri
You judge too quickly indeed. Go back and slowly read what I wrote.
said the salad and breadsticks are good, I did not mention the italia
food at all because in my opinion there is nothing good to say about i
other than it is edible. There is a
2-3 hour wait every weekend and crowds of people sit and wait. I'
curious as as to why, maybe there was something great on the menu
never ordered. Everyone I have spoken to agree with me that they g
just for the salad. Also, I never reviewed or mentioned a dine
anywhere on here, I think you should skip a trip to a restaurant an
visit an eye doctor because you are seeing words that don't exist

-
LuckyLady
2004-04-04 23:19:16 UTC
Post by Marc Dashevsky
Is it comparable to Macaroni Grill?
--
Marc Dashevsky -- Put "usenet" in Subject if you want me to rea
e-mail.
http://MarcDashevsky.com [/B]
Where is the Macaroni Grill??

-
Cheryl Isaak
2004-04-05 10:17:48 UTC
Post by Marc Dashevsky
Is it comparable to Macaroni Grill?
--
Marc Dashevsky -- Put "usenet" in Subject if you want me to read e-mail.
http://MarcDashevsky.com [/B]
Where is the Macaroni Grill???
There is one in Methuen near "The Loop". All sorts of interesting things
there. But if I am childless for the moment and I near that area, I'd rather
go to Not Your Average Joes.

Cheryl
Marc Dashevsky
2004-04-05 11:20:55 UTC
Post by Cheryl Isaak
Post by Marc Dashevsky
Is it comparable to Macaroni Grill?
Where is the Macaroni Grill???
There is one in Methuen near "The Loop". All sorts of interesting
things there. But if I am childless for the moment and I near that
area, I'd rather go to Not Your Average Joes.
It's funny. My daughter and I were on our way to NYAJ's on Saturday
night when we saw the Macaroni Grill as we entered the mall parking
lot and decided to try it. If I were alone, I too probably would have
gone to NYAJ's.

The server drawing his/her name on the table paper was a bit bizarre,
but I did love the bread w/olive oil. I had chicken scaloppine
(chicken breast mushrooms, artichokes, capers and smoked prosciutto
in lemon butter with pasta: $11.99) and my daughter built her own pasta
dish (garlic cream sauce, broccoli, chicken: $10.99). These were fine.
The disappointment came with the tiramisu. I could see the layers of
ladyfingers and cream, but it was as if they spent too much time together
and had interchanged their flavors and textures.
--
Marc Dashevsky -- Put "usenet" in Subject if you want me to read e-mail.
http://MarcDashevsky.com
Cheryl Isaak
2004-04-05 11:35:17 UTC
On 4/5/04 7:20 AM, in article
Post by Marc Dashevsky
Post by Cheryl Isaak
Post by Marc Dashevsky
[...]
I really like their panne cotta (how ever it is spelled). Tiramisu is too
iffy at most places - it can be great or it can just be pudding with
cookies.

I have never had a bad meal at MG. There are lots of options - my son does
the cheese sauce with pancetta. I've had fun building my own there too -
garlic and artichokes and spinach with olive oil.

And the littlest one loves being allowed to draw on the table.

Cheryl
Thanos
2004-04-05 14:33:04 UTC
Post by Cheryl Isaak
Post by Marc Dashevsky
Is it comparable to Macaroni Grill?
--
Marc Dashevsky -- Put "usenet" in Subject if you want me to read e-mail.
http://MarcDashevsky.com [/B]
Where is the Macaroni Grill???
There is one in Methuen near "The Loop". All sorts of interesting things
there. But if I am childless for the moment and I near that area, I'd rather
go to Not Your Average Joes.
There is also one across from the Burlington Mall. Although I wouldn't
compare it with some of the smaller, real good Italian places in the North
End, I've never had a bad meal at either MG (Methuen or Burlington). On the
other hand, I've given NYAJ 3 chances (last one was about a year ago) and I
was dissapointed *every* time, so... I'll skip it from now on.

Thanos
Dan Logcher
2004-04-05 15:21:46 UTC
Post by Marc Dashevsky
Is it comparable to Macaroni Grill?
--
Marc Dashevsky -- Put "usenet" in Subject if you want me to read e-mail.
http://MarcDashevsky.com [/B]
Where is the Macaroni Grill???
There is one on Middlesex Turnspike near the Burlington Mall.
That's the one I tried. The food was good.
Dan
Paul Sussman
And how does one grill macaroni?
Dan Logcher
2004-04-06 12:45:29 UTC
Post by Paul Sussman
Post by Marc Dashevsky
Is it comparable to Macaroni Grill?
--
Marc Dashevsky -- Put "usenet" in Subject if you want me to read e-mail.
http://MarcDashevsky.com [/B]
Where is the Macaroni Grill???
And how does one grill macaroni?
Carefully, and with small utensils.
Dan
Charles Demas
2004-04-06 12:58:42 UTC
Post by Paul Sussman
Post by Marc Dashevsky
Is it comparable to Macaroni Grill?
--
Marc Dashevsky -- Put "usenet" in Subject if you want me to read e-mail.
http://MarcDashevsky.com [/B]
Where is the Macaroni Grill???
And how does one grill macaroni?
I think they're using "Macaroni" to mean the same thing as
"Macaroni" in Yankee Doodle, i.e. fashionable.

Chuck Demas
--
Eat Healthy | _ _ | Nothing would be done at all,
Stay Fit | @ @ | If a man waited to do it so well,
***@theworld.com | \___/ | http://world.std.com/~cpd
John R. Levine
2004-04-06 14:03:59 UTC
Post by Charles Demas
Post by Paul Sussman
And how does one grill macaroni?
I think they're using "Macaroni" to mean the same thing as
"Macaroni" in Yankee Doodle, i.e. fashionable.
The macaroni in Yankee Doodle referred to the fancy epaulettes on the
shoulders of officers' uniforms.

ObFood: at least since WW II the usual term has been scrambled eggs.

And we all know how to cook scrambled eggs on a grill, I hope.

R's,
John
Smokey
2004-04-06 14:42:17 UTC
"John R. Levine" <***@iecc.com> wrote in message news:c4udcf$q0j$***@xuxa.iecc.com...
[snip]
Post by John R. Levine
ObFood: at least since WW II the usual term has been scrambled eggs.
What does Ob mean when used in front of a newsgroup topic? I see it all the
time but haven't been able to figure out where it comes from, although it
appears to mean "on the topic of".

TIA,
Smokey
Richard Kaszeta
2004-04-06 14:48:23 UTC
Post by Smokey
[snip]
Post by John R. Levine
ObFood: at least since WW II the usual term has been scrambled eggs.
What does Ob mean when used in front of a newsgroup topic? I see it all the
time but haven't been able to figure out where it comes from, although it
appears to mean "on the topic of".
"Obligatory". I first saw it used in rec.food.cooking many years
ago---of you posted off-topic for some reason, it was customary to add
the obligatory food reference to the bottom of the email, "ObFood:"
--
Richard W Kaszeta
***@kaszeta.org
http://www.kaszeta.org/rich
Smokey
2004-04-06 14:49:35 UTC
Post by Richard Kaszeta
Post by Smokey
[snip]
Post by John R. Levine
ObFood: at least since WW II the usual term has been scrambled eggs.
What does Ob mean when used in front of a newsgroup topic? I see it all the
time but haven't been able to figure out where it comes from, although it
appears to mean "on the topic of".
"Obligatory". I first saw it used in rec.food.cooking many years
ago---of you posted off-topic for some reason, it was customary to add
the obligatory food reference to the bottom of the email, "ObFood:"
--
Richard W Kaszeta
http://www.kaszeta.org/rich
Ah, thanks. That never would have occurred to me.

Smokey
Art
2004-04-06 06:30:59 UTC
They have a soup that I like alot..

Zuppa Toscana
Spicy sausage, russet potatoes and cavolo greens in a creamy broth.

That's about it. I saw on TV today they have an AYCE soup and salad deal, but
there's no Olive Garden's near me. Not that I feel deprived.

There's one coming to Marlborough, MA, soon, though, according to their
website.

For Italian chain food, I think Carrabba's does a decent job. But I overdosed
on them when I introduced my wife to the place, and we were going twice a week
on average.

--Art
Cheryl Isaak
2004-04-06 10:23:49 UTC
Post by Art
They have a soup that I like alot..
Zuppa Toscana
Spicy sausage, russet potatoes and cavolo greens in a creamy broth.
That's about it. I saw on TV today they have an AYCE soup and salad deal, but
there's no Olive Garden's near me. Not that I feel deprived.
There's one coming to Marlborough, MA, soon, though, according to their
website.
For Italian chain food, I think Carrabba's does a decent job. But I overdosed
on them when I introduced my wife to the place, and we were going twice a week
on average.
--Art
Art,

Lui Lui's in Nashua does a good job on the spicy sausage soup. It is
another "chain" (there's 3 of them I think) and once again, it mock-Italian
but the bread is served hot and the pizza is tasty.

Cheryl
Charles Demas
2004-04-06 13:02:30 UTC
Post by Art
They have a soup that I like alot..
Zuppa Toscana
Spicy sausage, russet potatoes and cavolo greens in a creamy broth.
That's about it. I saw on TV today they have an AYCE soup and salad deal, but
there's no Olive Garden's near me. Not that I feel deprived.
There's one in Framingham.
Post by Art
There's one coming to Marlborough, MA, soon, though, according to their
website.
For Italian chain food, I think Carrabba's does a decent job. But I overdosed
on them when I introduced my wife to the place, and we were going twice a week
on average.
Bertucci's had pretty good soup, at least the last time I
tried it in West Roxbury.

Chuck Demas
Steve Silberberg
2004-04-06 23:39:26 UTC
Post by Art
For Italian chain food, I think Carrabba's does a decent job.
Some people will vehemently disagree, but Vinny T's is decent chain
Italian.

However, I really liked Zio's the time I was there (in Houston,
actually). I don't know if there are any here yet.

Also, Buca di Beppo is variable, but can be very good.

Anyway, all of these are much better than Olive Garden and Bertucci's.

--------------
Steve Silberberg
mailto:***@alum.mit.edu
Read "We'll Kiss For Food"
http://www.kissforfood.com/
Robert La Ferla
2004-04-07 00:26:52 UTC
Post by Steve Silberberg
Some people will vehemently disagree, but Vinny T's is decent chain
Italian.
Yeah, I vehemently disagree. I don't like Vinny T's at all. I think
Bertucci's is a good Italian restaurant chain for some things like
sandwiches, better than average pizza and not to forget their freshly
baked rolls. However, their pasta is rather mediocre. I read an
interview with the founder of Bertucci's recently. Bertucci's started
in Davis Square (Somerville) I remember going there when they had their
bocce court. I think it used to be the same building that housed the
original Steve's ice cream (Herrell's made mix-ins famous) back in the
'70s. Anyways, the founder sold Bertuccis to a chain and then started
the "Naked Fish" cuban seafood chain. That didn't work out so he went
back to his roots and converted the restaurants to "Red Sauce". He said
that he wanted to serve real Italian food at an affordable price. I
haven't eaten there yet. Anyone care to share their experience?
Smokey
2004-04-07 02:17:22 UTC
"Robert La Ferla"
Post by Robert La Ferla
Post by Steve Silberberg
[...]
Haven't been to Red Sauce, but the Naked Fish chain is still around...I had
lunch there the other day. I don't know if Joey Crugnale sold the chain or
converted some of the stores to Red Sauce. I like Naked Fish. Fresh fish,
pick your own sides (I had grilled asparagus and my companion had some kind
of mashed sweet potatoes with banana which was too sweet for me but he loved
it). It was a perfectly nice place to have lunch. You wouldn't crave it,
but you wouldn't mind if someone suggested it.

Smokey
Jerry Natowitz
2004-04-07 11:36:27 UTC
Post by Smokey
"Robert La Ferla"
Haven't been to Red Sauce, but the Naked Fish chain is still around...I had
lunch there the other day. I don't know if Joey Crugnale sold the chain or
converted some of the stores to Red Sauce. I like Naked Fish. Fresh fish,
pick your own sides (I had grilled asparagus and my companion had some kind
of mashed sweet potatoes with banana which was too sweet for me but he loved
it). It was a perfectly nice place to have lunch. You wouldn't crave it,
but you wouldn't mind if someone suggested it.
I read that he converted some Naked Fish to Red Sauce. We've eaten there
several times. Quality is very variable. We've generally been happy with
appetizers, although the old frito misto, which was all veggies, suffered
from a doughy coating, the consequence of being fried at too low a temperature.

Veal is tougher than expected - I think this is more from using an older
veal than from over-cooking. My daughter was very happy eating pasta with
a side order of meatballs - the latter one of the best bargains on the
menu. As I remember, the desserts were served refrigerator cold, which
blunted their taste. Never tried the pizza.

Overall I would rate the food, service, and value as better than
Bertucci's. Although that could be read as damning with faint praise, we
like Red Sauce for informal get togethers with other families with kids.
Steve Silberberg
2004-04-07 13:49:11 UTC
On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 00:26:52 GMT, Robert La Ferla
Post by Robert La Ferla
That didn't work out so he went
back to his roots and converted the restaurants to "Red Sauce". He said
that he wanted to serve real Italian food at an affordable price. I
haven't eaten there yet. Anyone care to share their experience?
I went to the Red Sauce in Hingham and I really wanted to like it, but
wasn't too impressed. The atmosphere was nice, but the pasta was just
OK.

Which reminds me, my favorite chain Italian by far is Papa Razzi.

--------------
Steve Silberberg
mailto:***@alum.mit.edu
Read "We'll Kiss For Food"
http://www.kissforfood.com/
Thanos
2004-04-07 20:13:20 UTC
Post by Robert La Ferla
That didn't work out so he went
back to his roots and converted the restaurants to "Red Sauce". He said
that he wanted to serve real Italian food at an affordable price. I
haven't eaten there yet. Anyone care to share their experience?
I went to the Red Sauce in Hingham and I really wanted to like it, but
wasn't too impressed. The atmosphere was nice, but the pasta was just
OK.
Which reminds me, my favorite chain Italian by far is Papa Razzi.
One of my favorites, as well. Consistently good Italian food.

Thanos
Peter
2004-04-09 14:23:51 UTC
Post by LuckyLady
Anyone ever go to an Olive Garden??
I went to a lecture by Anthony Bourdain (who wrote
Kitchen Confidential, and had a Food Network show),
and when someone asked about Olive Garden, he said
"there are actually people out there who think that
what they are serving is Italian Food!"
David W.
2004-05-20 23:11:54 UTC
Gee you think if someone posted about Red Lobster it would generate this
much excitement?! ;)

I almost thought this post was a joke at first. Almost.
For people who like food, it would hopefully mean being openminded
to try different places even if they are the butt of jokes by late night
comics
like Letterman or Conan or Jon Stewart etc etc!

In fact the OG has new ads which make this stuffed chicken thing with cheese
look
really good but of course its an ad so one never knows. . .

We actually like Red Lobster and go there when we travel to someplace like
NJ that has it. :)

Then there is Cracker Barrel. There is one in Sturbridge at the Route 20
exit on the Mass Pike.
We like the breakfast and pancakes there.

And scourge of the midwest Bob Evans opened in Worcester a few years ago.
However ever since they changed their biscuit recipe they aren't as good.

And if Krispy Kreme can get a foothold here, then maybe someday WAFFLE HOUSE
can too!!! We can only hope! ;-P

Speaking of waffles my mom recently gave me the 40 year old family waffle
iron and it
makes the best waffles ever. You can find them in antique stores now. The
waffles you get
in even a decent diner or restaurant just don't compare to homemade! And I
mean homemade
from a real recipe not some off the shelf mix. I was using my mom's
Settlement Cookbook recipe. Yum!

David